Friday, September 30, 2005

Kilts vs. Skirts

When I was about 5 years old I saw a Scotsman in a plaid kilt and asked my mother why the man was wearing a skirt.

"It's not a skirt", she informed me, "it's a kilt." She explained that it would be offensive to a Scotsman to call it a skirt.

Well that cleared that up -- a kilt is not a skirt.

I took pride in passing on my knowledge to other children. It was simple: a kilt is a kilt and a skirt is a skirt, but a kilt is never a skirt.


Then about 40 years later -- right out of the blue -- I had one of those "aha!" moments. I realized the truth!!

A KILT REALLY IS A SKIRT!!!!
MEN WHO WEAR KILTS ARE ACTUALLY WEARING SKIRTS!!!!

I had to laugh at how long I believed that nonsense. I suppose I believed it because my mother told me so, and maybe because it was going to offend somebody.

How many things do you believe because your Mother or Father believe it?
How many things do you believe because it might offend somebody if you didn't?


A kilt is a skirt!! Spread the word!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

This could be a very good beginning to a more in-depth discussion of linguistics. Wow, it seems I'm finding something to say about almost all of your posts.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home