Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's almost Hallowe'en: What ELSE are you afraid of?

Sun Tzu said:
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Knowing yourself starts with knowing your fears. Do you know yourself? Do you know your fears? Do you REALLY know your fears? Tell the truth. You don't have to tell me the truth, but please tell yourself the truth.

The following is a Hallowe'en offering. It's a chance to look within. It's something to take with you and contemplate in the dark. It's something to think about. It's something to modify and make your own, if you see it's value. It's also something to give away to others, if you think they would welcome it.

A Litany of Questions About Fear:

Can I make a thorough list of my fears?
Have I ever really examined my fears?
Do I even know my own fears?
Can I even recognize my fears?
Can I admit my fears to myself?
Do I know my big fears?
Do I know my little fears?
How many of my big fears are just little fears that grew because I didn't deal with them?
Can I see the effect of my little fears?
Do my little fears lead to aversions?
Is my life being subtly directed, or misdirected, by my little fears?
Do I trick myself into avoiding dealing with my little fears through distraction? By seeming to be preoccupied with other things?
Are my little fears the result of trauma? Or are they just the result of habit?
Are my little fears about protecting my ego?
Are my little fears about maintaining my delusions?
Do my little fears make me reactive?
Do my little fears make it hard for me to really listen?
Do my little fears drive me to need to be right?
How do my fears drive my thinking?
How do my fears drive what I say?
How do my fears drive what I do?
Do I use my fears to control myself? Is there another way?
Do I really make a habit of facing my fears?
When will I start to make a practice of facing my fears?
Could I get rid of my fears if I were willing to give up the delusions I cling to?
Do I keep thinking the same kinds of thoughts because of my fears?
Do I need to keep my fears?



Please feel free to suggest improvements, or just tell me what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Plasma said...

can i turn my fears into jello?
can fears osmote out of my mind?
do fears smell fetid?

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home