Monday, October 10, 2005

The other 98% of our brain

From time to time, I hear somebody talking about the 98% of our brain that is not used. Wouldn't it just be marvelous if we could tap into that unused brainpower? Think of the abilities we would develop. Think how much more intelligent we would be.

Then they often draw conclusions about how we could recover that unused capacity by tapping into our subconscious, etc., etc.

Personally, I am not so sure that I would want to invest my efforts in that direction. I think it was Isaac Asimov who once pointed out that the supposed 98% of unused capacity is actually responsible for "blue-collar" work -- making sure we remember to breathe, keeping the blood flowing, that kind of stuff -- and would not be particularly suited for higher cognition.

Anyway, my thought is that it would be better if just tried to recover as much capacity for rational thinking as possible from those areas of our brain that are reserved for prejudice, ignorance, arrogance and narrow-mindedness.

If I can succeed in that, I think I shall have evolved significantly.

Are you doing anything to try to improve?

2 Comments:

Blogger Imperium child said...

Haha, I can just see some people writing in to say what a stupid idea that would be because they didnt have any arrogance...

4:36 AM  
Blogger Phil Plasma said...

Yes.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home