Sunday, November 13, 2005

Good Night and Good Luck

I went to the movie Good Night and Good Luck last night. In case you're not aware, it was the story of the great Edward R. Murrow in his battle to bring down Senator Joseph McCarthy.

I noticed several people leaving. And at the end I heard a young fellow saying loudly to his girlfriend, and anybody else that would listen, that he wanted his money back. The girlfriend seemed to have enjoyed it, however.

Personally, I enjoyed it very much. It guess it helps that I was already at least generally familiar with the story. But I can imagine that a younger person might have difficulty relating to what was going on. And the fact that the film was in black and white would probably have been a turnoff for some. In fairness, the movie probably did need a touch of physical violence and a tad of nudity. Not sure how they overlooked that.

Anyway, it was a very good movie. I certainly consider Edward R. Murrow to be one of the greats of journalism. And I am particularly impressed with his personal courage--not to mention the courage of his team.

I am curious as to how close it was to the facts. Does anybody know?

I am also curious what you think of the movie, if you saw it. And, more importantly, what did you think of Edward R. Murrow, the man? Where do you rate him, in the patheon of journalists?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home