Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Neo-Copernicus Award

Announcing the Neo-Copernicus Award!!

This is still in the mulling-over stage -- maybe this really is too crazy an idea -- but I would like to propose a contest to see who can make the best theories.

The categories would be:

1) Best Alternative to Evolution.
2) Best Intelligent Design variation.
3) Best Plan to Quantify God.

In each of these 3 categories, there would be awards for:
A) Best Science
B) Best humor
C) Best crackpot

Is this too crazy? Or does it interest you? Would you like to get involved?

If so, I think I would definitely need other people -- the more the merrier -- involved in organizing and running it. Don't worry if you don't know what you would do. I sure don't.

In hopes of getting the thinking started, I came up with some general categories (by header only) that would need to be thought through and discussed. They would include:

-Name of awards? Do we need a better name?
-Categories? Should we modify the categories?
-Scope? Do we make it elaborate, or quite simple? Classy or cheesy?
-Prizes?
-Legal concerns?
-Rules?
-Hosting? (New blog -- jointly managed?)
-Response volumes? If very high?
-Commenting?
-Judging?
-Storage?
-Collaborators?
-Promo?
-Repeat?
-Time?
-Costs?
-Benefits?
-Competition?

Anyway, drop a comment to tell me what you think. Bad idea. Good idea. You're on your own, freak. I'm excited, sign me up right now. I already have a theory. Etc.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. And don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have a 1000 dumb ideas before breakfast each morning. (Well actually, my breakfast usually ends up around 3 pm because I am so busy having dumb ideas). But every once in awhile I get a keeper. So tell me what you think.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Yes, yes, I want to be involved in your awards! Sounds like...well, sounds like something we sad and lonely blog readers would enjoy. Yoicks, what did I write?!?! No, no, I actually have a wonderfully vibrant, exciting, friend-filled life. It's just that it's early, that's all.
Anyway, count me in!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Copernicus Now said...

Hi Mimi, welcome aboard. I plan to set up another blogsite specifically to collaborate on this project. I hope to have that done in the next day or two. I will provide more info when it is ready.

More volunteers would be welcome.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I'll volunteer.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

In fact, over the weekend I was trying to think of some kind of collaborative project to work on with you, Copernicus, and hopefully other people (but I couldn't think of any). I really like your writing style and the way you think about things is different from mine but still very interesting.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Copernicus Now said...

Hi Kelly,

I am glad you're in. I was hoping this would appeal to you.

By the way, thanks for the compliments. The feeling is mutual.

Here's hoping we get a few more volunteers.

I'm at work now, but I'll try to put up a site this evening.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I'm looking around for a good template to use. I'll e-mail you if I find a good one.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I just realized I lost your e-mail address. I have a template that I made (only spent about a half hour on it) and you can see it at this url for now. E-mail me and I'll send you the text file with the template -- just copy and paste it into the template area. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Mr K said...

That sounds really cool, though I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to offer to be honest. I am rather busy recently.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Copernicus Now said...

kelly - I checked out the template. Looks nice to me.

mr k - I am glad to hear from you, too. Please feel free to contribute according to what works for you.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Copernicus Now said...

mr k - Was unable to reach you by email. Do you mind contacting me at tarnation@gmail.com? Then I will give you my normal email.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in participating. I ought to go ahead and get an account. All three categories seem like an invitation to wild speculation. Here is one that is speculative by definition:
.Best future history of the next billion years
-Hal

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, future history would not be a theory, so perhaps it doesn't belong.
-Hal

6:00 PM  
Blogger Copernicus Now said...

Good to have you Hal. Do you mind contacting me at tarnation@gmail.com?

6:16 PM  
Blogger Imperium child said...

Yar, that seems like a wonderful idea! I know at quite a few people that have crackpot ideas that would to participate with the actual thinking of theories. I will also theorise if I can but I wont be able to commit much time to the creation.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home