Friday, November 18, 2005

Rethinking people

Periodically, it dawns on me to rethink people. Particularly people whom I have decided to either dislike or disparage.

I spend too many waking hours implicitly supposing that I am a great judge of other people. That my opinions are so well thought out I don't have to question them.

The truth is, most people whom I have decided to think less of are probably just as good, and possibly even better than I. Even if they do have the fault(s) that I attribute to them, so what? I am a part-time asshole, and plenty of people respect me anyway. Why can't I let other people be assholes at least part of the time without supposing that is all there is to know about them.

So, for awhile -- at least until I forget and start to re-believe that I am a great judge of my neighbors and coworkers -- I will try to look at these people with new eyes. Maybe I will learn something good about them.

Tomorrow is a new day. Spread the word.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Part tim azz-hole"...thats funny. Yeah it's a challenge to keep this mind set that you speak of but it is possible...humility works.

-Vozdra

8:15 PM  
Blogger dus7 said...

Interesting topic. I think we have always needed to judge others from cave/ treetop days as a matter of evaluating personal, family, group safety. Friend or foe? But humans have learned long since to dissemble and wear appropriate masks a lot of the time so the judging thing is difficult and only partially successful. My first impressions are sometimes accurate, but only sometimes. The most wonderful people may be rather ordinary-looking or worse. And many of us have a really interesting life story. If we know someone's agenda (politicians, entertainment figures, salespersons, police), we can allow for that. I have a theory that eyes tell a lot. Many public personages have eyes that are noticeably unlike, being different sizes, shapes, directions. But does this denote dishonesty or just internal conflict or what? My theory needs work. Judge not, lest ye be judged. Do not judge another until you walk a mile in his/her moccasins (at which point you can say whatever you like and you get to keep the moccasins.)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Phil Plasma said...

Rather than rethink people, I will just start to think them. If I think them reasonably fair and good, maybe they will be.

4:26 AM  
Blogger L>T said...

I am trying to get rid of my prejudices & judge people as being human. No better or worse. We are all part time assholes, aren't we?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

This is an entry that I've re-read frequently since you posted it. It's very significant, especially for people like me: absolutely positive we know better. Who in his right mind could think Bush is anything but a raving lunatic? Who could support an unjust and horrific war? Hell, lots of people do and some of them are friends I like and respect in many ways. So-o-o, I have to choose to like and respect them regardless of their beliefs. And, yes, to come to the reluctant that they may be doing the same about me.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Copernicus . . . are you still alive? It's been nearly a month since you posted.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home